Sunday, October 2, 2011

Scout's Puppies Have Arrived!



When I brought the boys in from the bus stop and she was digging in the whelping box and couldn't seem to get comfortable, I knew we'd have puppies within 24 hours or so.

She and I hung out constantly yesterday evening.  When I put the boys to bed at 10 p.m., she tried to hide under Wyatt's bed.  So I laid near her until about 1 when I went back to my own bed.  Then she woke me up between 3 and 4 whining next to the bed and looking a bit worried.  I moved her downstairs back into the whelping box and she and I watched a documentary on the bee population.  (I know, we're a bunch of nerds.)



Hard labor started about 5:30 a.m. or so and the first puppy was delivered around 5:45.  The last puppy was whelped around 11 a.m. - eight healthy puppies in all.

Four males, four females, three mostly solid liver and five mostly solid black.  All seem to have a white blaze on their chests and some have a bit of white on their feet.

So far Scout has been an amazing mother.  She is very intent on keeping the pups and the box very clean.  She got up a bit this morning to go outside and get a quick bite to eat and drink, then right back into the box nuzzling each one of them to eat.  So good!



We are in the process of taking photos of each puppy and making notes on each.  More to come.

1 comment:

  1. They look beautiful. Congratulations on a successful delivery.

    ReplyDelete